Today I received a fateful call that will change my life forever: I am now employed as a server at a local burger joint. This place is no McDonald’s either… consider it a glorified Steak ‘N Shake. The whole process was about as much as I expected… dress up, drop off application, wait anxiously for a call back, receive a call for an interview, do a little dance, dress up again (but never in the same outfit), show up 20 minutes early for the interview, smile through the answers you nail, smile even harder through the ones you don’t, wait even more anxiously for the final call, get the job, and then do a really big dance. I was not expecting to receive such good news today, and the timing couldn’t be more perfect (my training starts the weekend after my last day of summer classes!). I must admit, however, this list item gives me mixed feelings. In no time I’ll be rolling in the dough, yet I’ll be spending Friday nights rolling in the grease. I’m going to experience a new taste of independence, all while choking down a new set of rules. Although this accomplishment by no means marks the end of my childhood, it is a definite step towards being a “grown-up.” My only hope is that this is an experience that I can have fun with. Cheers to the future.
Love & Summer,
P.S. UPDATE: Although I contacted the winner of the GirlProps.com sunglasses giveaway, I did not receive a response within 72 hours. This means that I have picked another winner, who will be contacted first thing tomorrow via e-mail. Check your inbox tomorrow morning and good luck! Thanks again to all who entered!
Hello there, lovelies! Let me reintroduce myself.
My name is Sarah, and I’m a 16 year-old teenager currently living in Florida. Last year I attempted to keep myself from succumbing to the deep reaches of boredom that becomes inevitable when summer vacation rolls around. In order to accomplish this massive feat, I created a summer bucket list of 104 things to do to stay occupied. Guess what? It worked.
That’s why I have decided to return for another unpredictable summer. You’ll notice some familiar list items from last summer, of which I either found to be worthy of resurrecting or left as unfinished business. Others are just slightly modified. Others still are brand-spanking new.
Starting May 4th, I’ll have 109 days of summer vacation.
109 days –>;;; 109 list items.
So without further ado, I present…
The Bucket List 2012
1. Create a summer mix tape/playlist.
2. Eat at Hooters.
3. Go downtown to take photos.
4. Spend an entire day with my little brother.
5. Silly string fight.
6. Write a complaint/satisfaction letter to see if they’ll send free stuff.
7. Record someone’s life story.
8. Convince someone I’m from a foreign country.
9. Wake up every morning before 7:30 a.m.
10. Water fight. Including but not limited to: balloons, guns, hoses, and buckets.
11. Kiss a stranger.
12. Buy a pair of TOMS.
13. Paint heart bookcase.
14. Participate in a charity event.
15. Buy an outfit at a secondhand store.
16. Buy a snapback.
17. Say ‘yes’ to everything for a day.
18. Make a new friend.
19. Run a 5k.
20. Attend a good concert.
21. Beach. Beach. Beach.
22. Watch Gone With the Wind.
23. Practice yoga.
24. Pull an all-nighter.
25. Compile a photography series.
26. Go rock climbing.
27. Open a shop on Etsy.
28. Play spin the bottle.
29. Use a Polaroid camera.
30. Go through a drive-thru backwards.
31. Get a “You Mad Bro?” shirt.
32. Participate in 30 Hour Famine.
33. Apply for at least 5 scholarships.
34. Become an expert at something.
35. Attempt surfing.
36. Climb a tree.
37. Eat at Andy’s.
38. Warped Tour.
39. Host a bonfire.
40. Customize a bikini.
41. Read at least 8 books.
42. Hold a garage sale.
43. Have my letter to the editor published.
44. Pick an official summer song.
45. Attempt the cinnamon challenge and post it on YouTube.
46. Create a recipe.
47. Make sun tea.
48. Hold a stranger’s hand on a roller coaster.
49. Destroy a “Wreck This Journal”
50. Spend a whole day barefoot.
52. Hold an Alfred Hitchcock movie marathon.
53. Leave my initials in wet concrete.
54. Play hide-and-seek in IKEA.
55. Decorate my bathroom.
56. Lay on a roof.
57. Go to the drive-in movies.
58. Spend the night in a car.
59. Leave Florida.
60. Pierce something.
61. Get a henna tattoo.
62. Hand out lemons while wearing a shirt that says “Life.”
63. Buy a pair of heart shaped sunglasses.
64. Play a game of poker with real money.
65. Eat at Denny’s past midnight.
66. Experiment with helium.
67. Go to the mall with a “Free Hugs” sign.
68. Eat a snowcone.
69. Set off an illegal firework.
70. Have everyone I meet for a day sign my shirt.
71. Play dessert Twister.
72. See a play/musical.
73. Go for a midnight swim.
74. Throw a message-in-a-bottle into the ocean.
75. Celebrate a foreign holiday the way the natives do.
76. Get a tan tattoo.
77. Stargaze for hours.
78. Have a conversation with a stranger at a stoplight.
79. Buy a supply of Lip Smackers.
80. Sticky note a car.
81. Watch “500 Days of Summer.”
83. Do a Chinese fire drill at a stoplight.
84. Visit a museum.
85. Visit an aquarium.
86. Drive around with a “Honk If…” saying painted on my windows.
87. Watch “The Bucket List.”
88. Do something nice for my professor.
89. Get a chain of 15 people to walk like an Egyptian with me.
91. Attempt kayaking.
92. Recreate a creation on Epic Meal Time.
93. Make vegan cupcakes.
94. See an R-rated movie at the theatre before I turn 17.
95. See an R-rated movie at the theatre after I turn 17.
96. Read a cheesy romantic paperback.
97. Eat nothing but cold cereal for a day.
98. Use public transportation.
99. Pay for a stranger’s meal.
100. Own a pair of yoga pants/shorts.
101. Have a conversation with somebody on a random chat generator.
102. Yell at the top of my lungs.
103. Tan on the roof of my car in a random parking lot.
104. Get my license.
105. Cook a healthy meal for my family.
106. Learn how to say the alphabet backwards.
107. Build a sandcastle.
108. Get a job.
109. Create a video depicting the results of Summer 2012.
For me, last summer was all about making it count… Now the stakes are higher than ever. My senior year marks the end of the beginning, and that ending starts with this summer. The time to throw away my inhibitions and be carefree is now. I’m not letting anything hold me back.
I’m ready. Are you?
Love & Summer,
P.S. Plus, I’m adding a GWTS Tumblr! Check it out on my Contact page. It’s a little barren right now, but keep checking back for updates!
Do you remember that girl who played tennis in the rain? The girl who harassed more than one stranger? The girl who destroyed a watermelon? The girl who went on late-night Taco Bell runs? The girl who started a summer bucket list out of sheer boredom? Well, that girl has decided to return for another summer of blogging, pictures, and unforgettable memories. That’s right… I’m back for Summer 2012.
As you can probably already see, I am in the process of updating. This means a new look, new content, and of course… a new bucket list.
The new list will be released Monday, April 16th!
Until then, I will be working on these updates and responding to all of the fan mail and comments I received while hibernating.
Mark your calendars…
The first day of summer vacation is Friday, May 4th!
109 days. 109 list items. 1 summer left.
Will you be able to keep up?
Love & Summer,
Me, Nana, and Kenzi after dessert.
Another one bites the dust – I finally went to HuHot! The theme for this post is definitely… trying new things. As cliche as it is, yesterday was full of new places, new people, and lots of new food. For those of you who have never heard of a “Huhot”, it’s a Mongolian restaurant that is like a Build-a-Bear mixed with a buffet. Basically you pick everything you want, from meats to noodles to vegetables to sauces and oils to after-toppings, and then they grill it in front of you (the best part is that you can go back as many times as you want). As a first-timer, it was pretty overwhelming, because there was so much to choose from! Not knowing what to expect, I just piled on a little bit of everything. Here’s everything that made it into my mix:
The Official Gone With the Summer HuHot Combo
- Spicy Sausage
- Chinese Noodles
- Other Noodle?
- Red Potatoes
- Water Chestnuts
- Bamboo Shoots
- 5 scoops of Khan’s Favorite sauce (I think)
- 1 scoop of Betker’s Ginger sauce
- 1 scoop jalapeno juice
So what’s the verdict? It was delicious! The best meal I’ve had in a while. Now of course, there were some not-so-good parts… for one, water chestnuts are disgusting, in my humble opinion. And the “other” noodles tasted like rubber bands. Oh, and tofu is not for me either. But other than that, everything was absolutely mouth-watering. I was surprised to like the bamboo shoots so much – definitely give them a try if you ever make it out there! Then we indulged in some s’mores, which came with our own little campfire! Afterwards, we roamed the mall for a whopping 5 hours, while making several stops (one of them was even for more food!) Additionally, I (with the help of my friends) tried to accomplish the newbie, #105…. I wouldn’t call it a failed attempt, I’ve just decided to re-strategize. It shall be coming soon! However, some good did come out of it… I met lots of new people! That’s all for now, remember to keep voting for your favorite song in the sidebar, commenting, and subscribing, and thank you all so much!
Love & Summer,
P.S. You can now find my fan page on Facebook! Also, I have a new FAQ page in the sidebar, for all of you curious readers! Check them out!